Heward's Haversack VS Item Creation Costs...Need Help/Advice

A forum for chatting about the site and about gaming.

Moderators: xrpsuzi, HinterWelt

Heward's Haversack VS Item Creation Costs...Need Help/Advice

Postby TFG Woodrum » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:57 am

I'm sitting here right now working on a project that has a wondrous item that falls into the same questionable category as Hewards' handy haversack and bags of holding.... how, oh how by any means, does one come up with costs for these?
I've sat down and calculated the price values for bag of holding types and heward's sack over and over again and I can't figure out how they justify the costs....
Dave Woodrum
Top Fashion Games

<i>"Why Top Fashion Games? Well, several years ago I wanted to start a game company... For some strange reason I had been listening to the band Roxy Music and well..." </i>
TFG Woodrum

Re: Heward's Haversack VS Item Creation Costs...Need Help/Ad

Postby Your Games Now, LLC » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:38 pm

TFG Woodrum wrote:I'm sitting here right now working on a project that has a wondrous item that falls into the same questionable category as Hewards' handy haversack and bags of holding.... how, oh how by any means, does one come up with costs for these?
I've sat down and calculated the price values for bag of holding types and heward's sack over and over again and I can't figure out how they justify the costs....

I'd take the expect amount for the HHH and then divide by the real cost to find the ratio. I'd then use that ratio for the new item.

Quick and dirty, but probably not too far off base.

joe b.
Joseph Browning
Your Games Now, LLC
Expeditious Retreat Press
Your Games Now, LLC

Postby xrpsuzi » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:41 pm

Yeah, the design equations provided for calculating the cost of creating new items is a little wonky, but it's at least a basis for comparision.

Trying to make 1 equation good for balancing the creation of an item and the outright purchase of an item is no easy task. :)

-Suzi
xrpsuzi

Postby TFG Woodrum » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:25 pm

Joe,
Neal and I were playing around with more or less the same idea that you expressed and I think we've found a system that worked. Neal wanted me to present it to a community forum to get a general feel of audience approval so here's what I came up with.

We took HHH into consideration as being a continual spell effect item with a 1/2 adjuster as the spell is a long duration spell....
aka
5th level spell x 9th level caster x 2,000gp x .5 (long duration)=
45,000gp for Base Cost.

Okay, HHH is listed as having a price of 2,000gp.

We divided 45,000gp by 2,000gp and got a division modifier of 22.5

We played around with this and found that it when our prices were divided by this it produced prices pretty close to our estimate values for such items (based on their powers and comparisons)

22.5 is ALMOST 23.... 23, Dr. Pepper, wicked movie.... all sorts of bad stuff woooooo....
:twisted:
Dave Woodrum
Top Fashion Games

<i>"Why Top Fashion Games? Well, several years ago I wanted to start a game company... For some strange reason I had been listening to the band Roxy Music and well..." </i>
TFG Woodrum

Return to Talk about Your Games Now and Gaming!