Hello from Dave Graffam Models

A forum for chatting about the site and about gaming.

Moderators: xrpsuzi, HinterWelt

Hello from Dave Graffam Models

Postby DagobahDave » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:51 am

Hi everybody. I'm looking forward to doing business here at Your Games Now. I'm publishing mainly 28mm/30mm scale paper models for wargames and roleplaying games, and I'll be gradually adding my complete catalog of items to this site.

If you prefer smaller-scale models, you can easily print my products at other scales just by changing the print size on your printer. The instructions pages included with each of my models will tell you what setting to use. It's super easy.

Many of my models feature multi-layered PDFs, giving you lots of different texture options so you can print each model over and over, each time with a different look. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun customizing your models by choosing your favorite features. I think you'll also find that each model is a great value, since you can print them so many times without any two of them looking exactly alike. With just a couple of my multi-layered models, you'll be on your way to filling up your game table with unique-looking buildings.

Multi-layered PDFs are easy to use, and all you need is Adobe Acrobat Reader to use them. The instructions pages included with my models will point you to the layers palette (with just two clicks of your mouse), and once you've opened it you'll be set to play around with multiple layers on any PDF that features them. It's easy, and it's a lot of fun.

If multi-layered PDFs sound like too much hassle to you, I also offer single-layered one-look models that are even easier and more convenient to print. Lots of my models feature both single-layered versions and multi-layered versions, so you can get the best of both worlds.

I'm happy to answer any questions about my products, and if you'd like to request or suggest something, I'm always interested to hear what folks are looking for. I publish a few new models every month, so there's always something new to see.

If you visit my publisher's page, you can grab a free copy of my Hovel 30mm Paper Model to get a look at the way my models are constructed and the quality of the textures that I use.

Happy gaming!

Dave
DagobahDave

Postby DagobahDave » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:14 am

Lots of folks ask me how I create my models, so I'll take a minute to explain.

I use ordinary 2D graphics software to create my designs. No 3D programs are involved. I start by drawing out the lines for cutting and folding, and then I print out the un-textured version and assemble it to make sure that everything fits together as expected.

Once I've completed that paper test, I start adding the textures. Over the past couple of years I've built up a large collection of visual elements -- brick wall sections, wooden wall sections, windows, doors, lamps, and so on. Many of the visual elements I use are from photographs I've taken myself, and I also do quite a bit of designing from scratch if I don't have a good photograph to work from.

I choose different elements that look good to me, and I combine them piece by piece until I'm happy with the overall look and level of detail.

Then I blend these pieces together by adding shading and highlights. I also add lots of weathering for a lived-in look. You'll notice that there's bird droppings on the roofs and mossy growths on the walls, which are the kinds of details that I love to see on real buildings.

I make sure that all of the visible surfaces are textured, including the underhangs of the roofs, so you don't see any blank paper there. While I try to keep my models pretty simple in construction, I usually add a couple of little features such as a chimney, dormer windows or balcony to give them a bit more character and make them appear more complex, but without adding a lot of assembly time and fiddly bits. I want folks to be able to build my models quickly and without a lot of tiny parts, but still have them look great.

Finally, I use a book layout program to create the multi-layered PDFs, and then wrap up all the pages into a ZIP folder.

It can take me anywhere from a single day to a couple of weeks to finish a model. Typically, it takes me three of four days to complete a medium-sized structure. I aim to produce about one model per week, and I sometimes take breaks to gather up new ideas, create new visual elements and work on other projects that interest me.

I usually work on one model at a time, but I almost always know which model I'm going to design next before I've finished the one I'm working on.

So that's probably way more than anyone wants to know. But if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Cheers,

Dave
DagobahDave

Postby DagobahDave » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:17 am

Can't forget the eye candy! (See the next post. I want to post some pictures, but the forum doesn't want me to spam.)
Last edited by DagobahDave on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DagobahDave

Postby DagobahDave » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:18 am

Spam filter wins this round. I'll try again tomorrow.
DagobahDave

Postby DagobahDave » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:53 pm

DagobahDave

Hi, it is a nice work

Postby bluemask » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:17 am

Hi, it is a nice work, i am so glad to see your another piece of good work again. Come on and do it more better next time. I will keep an eye on you.
bluemask

Return to Talk about Your Games Now and Gaming!